Nov 11, 2013

Power/Hang Clean: Explosion, Power & Strength (Damn Tiring Though)

I’m on a fitness regime that’s chockfull of compound exercises – squats, deadlifts, shoulder presses, push-ups, pull-ups etc. It saves time, uses the whole body (or most of it) and it’s as functional as it can get -- push and pull.

I’m seeing some results – better strength and stamina – but I want more. More power, more strength, the usual shebang.

hang-cleans

Hence I’m mucking around with Olympic lifts. In particular, the Power Clean.

The Power Clean is an “explosive jump shrug, upright row and front squat all rolled up into one fully loaded movement.” (src: Muscle And Fitness).

Reads great, sounds great. It’s much harder doing it.

I just did it for the first time yesterday and only managed to clean 25kg dumbbells for 4 sets of 5 reps. In contrast, I can squat the same weights for 5 sets of 10 reps.

But if the effect on my body any indication -- heart pounding like I’ve just sprinted up and down the court – then this exercise rocks!

Next steps: Start off with Hang Cleans just above the knee with lighter weights then work my way up.

How to perform Power Cleans

Resources

Image source: Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts with Thumbnails